Willow Wood is a community school with links to the local and wider community. The school plays an active part in community life and is a member of the Winsford Education Partnership. The partnership works in collaboration with schools in the area to provide opportunities for enhancement and innovation to learning and creating opportunities for our children.
The Winsford Education partnership is made up of the 12 schools in Winsford which includes; Wharton C of E Primary School, Winsford High Street Community Primary School, Darnhall Primary School, Grange Community Primary School, Greenfields Primary School, St Joesph’s Catholic Primary School, Over St Johns CofE Primary School, St Chads CofE Primary School, Over Hall Community School, Oaklands School, Hebden Green and the new Winsford Academy. Together we have successfully achieved the Go4IT Gold Award which recognises the work the partnership has done to develop and enhance learning. We are proud that several members of our staff have taken lead roles in the partnership.
At Willow Wood community links are valued and we organise a number of activities that enrich the lives of our pupils and the local community. Our aim is to provide children with opportunities to take part in activities and projects that fully utilise their talents and give them a strong sense of community and belonging with personal responsibility.
Our Links with the community include:
- Harvest Festival – each year we hold Harvest celebrations in which donated food is taken by the children to the local old people's home.
- Visits from the local community police officers with regular talks to the children about stranger danger, road safety, fire safety and internet safety with older children.
- Links with Wharton Christ Church - Rev Tim Hanson and Robin Barfield Christian Youth Worker are regular visitors to the school, leading assemblies. Robin runs a lunch time club for junior children.
- Summer Play Scheme – the school hosted a four week summer scheme for primary aged children as well as hosting a special willow weaving event.
- Family Support worker – who works with school and families providing advice and support.
- Children’s Centre – we enjoy close links with Wharton Children’s Centre and Sunrise Nursery.
- Rotary Club –The School supports the local Rotary by helping them to collect toys and household items for the annual shoe box appeal. In return they take some of our children to the pantomime each year.
- Wharton Library – The school hosted the children’s library whilst the brand new lottery funded community library was being built and continues to work closely with the school. We have regular class visits to the library to make use of the new facilities.
- Community Singing – senior members of the community are invited into school to sing some traditional Christmas carols at Christmas
- Craft Afternoons – several times during the year children can invite family members into school for a craft afternoon where everyone is welcome.